Wow what an exercise and curious adventure this was.
As part of an addiction to story telling, film and technology, I went back to school last year, and completed an ‘Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media’ – studying the latest tools and technology in the areas of:
- Research and creativity
- Screen-writing and editing scripts
- Film and video production
- Selecting, directing and managing performers
- Directing and managing a film crew and set
- Post-production and editing
- Marketing and realising productions
It was an interesting exercise, and I was fortunate enough to learn from an excellent screen-writing teacher, Karel Segers.
About 20 in the team supported my vision, script and Directorship, and we managed, despite quite considerable odds, to produce this simple little film below, ‘Cringe Dating’.
I had come up with the idea of a funny date in Sydney – where each character says something, but then the viewer actually hears what they are really thinking. I was told this was something like Woody Allen’s film, ‘Annie Hall’ – but whilst there was some similarity, I didn’t see this particular technique used there, and yet as our script developed, and with the limitations of both of the institution (TAFE) and working with another writer, this idea developed into this quirky little film, ‘Cringe Dating’. It was an all-round interesting experience, using top-end cameras, lighting techniques, and Final-Cut Pro editing tools.
* Turn it up a bit, the location of the film was changed at the last minute to that beside a very noisy road! Haha! Thanks to everyone involved for the fun of it all.